Special Education Attorney Information
COPAA the Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates
Click here to visit the COPAA site with a listing of California Attorneys and Advocates
Law Help California; Helping Californians find legal aid referrals & self-help resources
The same site as above but in Spanish click here.
If your child is a Regional Center Client, legal support is available through the Office of Clients Rights Advocates. An attorney is available to families. Disability Rights California employs the attorneys who have an office at Regional Centers throughout California. Click here to find out more.
Click here to find out the contact information for your Regional Center.
Announcement from the Office of Administrative Hearings [OAH]:
- LISTSERVE; OAH publishes the decisions that result when a Due Process Complaint has finished the hearing. Decisions are rendered and a redacted [personally identifiable information is removed] copy is posted on their web site. OAH has created a listserve that allows interested parties to receive emailed copies of decisions as they are issued. If you wish to be included on that listserve, please send your name and email address to email@example.com
- Have you requested assessment? Here's a useful online tool to determine the date your special education timeline will end. Take a look by clicking here
- Do you subscribe to CalStat's the Special Edge? If not, consider saving mailing costs and paper by reading it online. Click here to read it online!
Conflict sometimes occurs related to decisions made about students eligible for special education.
- A literature review was just completed that looks at various research done related to Alternative Dispute Resolution in special education. Click here to read the article from CADRE.
General Useful Information:
Santa Clara County Information:
San Mateo County Resources:
- Do you live in San Mateo County? Have you visited the wonderful web site your county office of education has in place? Click here to find out about what's happening in the San Mateo SELPA
California DATA and Information Resources:
- Useful Data Related to Education
- Welcome to DataQuest - find facts about California's public schools fast! This amazing tool allows you to obtain useful data about schools, districts, counties
- I heard there is a wonderful book that tells me my rights in question and answer format? It's called Special Education Rights and Responsibilities and you can get it online from Disability Rights California.
- Have you wondered how to file a discrimination complaint with the Office for Civil Rights? Click here to find out more.