New parent support and information group, starting spring 2022!
Neurodiverse means more than autism these days; it also includes ADHD, learning differences, gifted, anxiety and mood disorders, etc.
This special interest and support group is for parents of neurodiverse high schoolers preparing for college, looking for job experience, and moving towards independence. That can also include neurodiverse high schoolers who are stressed out by thinking about college, refuse to visit colleges, struggle in their high school classes, overwhelmed by life today, and having difficulty getting out of the house. We get it!
Parents of current neurodiverse college students also attend in order to share their experience and advice with parents of high schoolers. That is “parents helping parents” in action, mentoring one another.
It’s like a book group but better! Parents attend parent education webinars and workshops throughout the month, then we get together on the PHP Zoom to discuss the topics of the webinars and how they work for us and our families. The goal is to support each other to successfully weather the ebb and flow of wins, setbacks, and societal/economic changes related to relationships with our neurodiverse high schoolers.
Webinar and workshop providers:
- Parents Helping Parents
- Stanford Neurodiversity Project Special Interest Group and Network for K-12 Neurodiversity Education and Advocacy (NNEA)
- Join PNHS and we’ll let you know about other upcoming neurodiversity related webinars and workshops.
- And more!
How does this support group work?
- Meet! Parents of Neurodiverse High Schoolers (PNHS for short!) gets together on the 2nd Monday of the month. Attend via Zoom to discuss exchange and support each other. Registration is required for each meeting, see the Group Meeting Calendar link in “Helpful Info”.
- Learn! Attend parent education webinars and workshops.
- Network! With like-minded parents. We all know that incredibly useful information is shared via parents.
- Give back! Join the PHP Parents of Neurodiverse volunteer team – PNTeam – to help support PHP in providing support group services to families of neurodiverse kids, teens, and adults.
Note: Parents Helping Parents has three other groups for parents with teen/adults listed below. Check them out to determine if one fits your needs, or mix and match as they all have great content and discussions!
- Parents of Neurodiverse College/Career Adults
- Paths to Positive Adulting
- Parents of Adult Children with Developmental Disabilities
Most PHP webinars, support groups and services are FREE! We are committed to providing innovative, high-quality online content to families like yours. Please consider making a voluntary donation to help us continue this important work for families raising children with special needs throughout our community! Thank you!