Adult Children with Developmental Disabilities (PACDD)

, Parents and Caregivers of Adult Children with Developmental
Disabilities, aims to meet the needs of parents and caregivers of adults with developmental disabilities. Join us!

We meet the third Monday each month at the PHP offices from 11:00 am to 12:30 pm.  Please join us at a future event.  

Are you an adult sibling? Visit - Adult sibs are also welcome at the PACDD meetings!

Click to the Content Desired:

Connect and Communicate

  • Join our Yahoo Group!
  • Receive monthly meeting updates by  clicking here
  • Host a Meetup!  
  • Need information before the next gathering? Call the PHP office at 408-727-5775 and you will be routed to someone that is able to serve you.

    Below is information that most families have found helpful on their journey. If you see something missing, please email to have it added.

    Transition Checklist 

    the checklist now

    Another good online resource 

    State & Federal Benefits 

    SSI and Medi-Caid

    Receiving SSI and Working?

    Report Wages using an easy to use app found at 

  • Getting Ready for Work - A Person Centered Notebook
    The "I Want To Work" workbook is designed to assist people with intellectual disabilities gather information that they can use to obtain employment.

    Might your child work and have SSI or SSDI?  Yes!

    There are many plans that help working individuals with disabilities
    and there are folks out there to help through the 104 Work Incentives Planning
    and Assistance (WIPA).

    The projects across the U.S. and the U.S. territories work with
    SSA beneficiaries with disabilities on job placement, benefits planning, and
    career development.

    WIPAs are authorized to serve all SSA beneficiaries with
    disabilities, including transition-to-work aged youth, providing benefits
    planning and assistance services on request and as resources permit.

    Link to all WIPA offices in the US:

    Ticket to Work Program

    Working Disabled 250+ Program - Power Point with Audio

    Selective Service Forms that young men
    receive at 18. 
    Read about what to do  

    Health Care Services

    Private Health Insurance May Be Available Through Your Employer - Continued through Adulthood

    Check with your employer for a Disabled Dependent Waiver. Not all employers provide this but many do for both health and dental coverage.

    This IDD Toolkit is a website devoted to information for the primary care of adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. The
    online toolkit offers health care providers best-practice tools and a wealth of information regarding specific medical and behavioral concerns of adults with IDD, including resources for patients and families See it now

    Does your child require a higher level of support in order for you to keep him/her at home?  Check out the Waiver Programs.

    HCBS Waivers
    allow states that participate in Medicaid, known as Medi-Cal in California, to develop creative alternatives for individuals who would otherwise require care in a nursing facility or hospital. Medi-Cal has an
    agreement with the Federal Government, which allows for waiver services to be offered in either a home or community setting.

    The services offered under the waiver must cost no more than the alternative institutional level of care.
    Recipients of HCBS Waivers must have full-scope Medi-Cal eligibility:

    This form is especially nice to complete and take to the doctor's office.

    Mental Health Services for Adults with Developmental Disabilities

    Call 1-800-704-0900 Visit:

    Make sure you have your son/daughter's Social Security Number and Date of Birth. They will verify the Medi-Cal status.

    • If you have private insurance, you must first receive a denial of services from them.
    Medi-Cal and the Estate Recovery Program: The recovery program is for when the individual has his or her own money, for example, a lawsuit settled where they receive funds, grandma dies and leaves money to the individual.  Those funds may be put into a FIRST PARTY trust by the court. This is also monitored by the court.  This link takes you to a nice and clear video about how to protect third party assets.

    Have a Health Insurance Problem?  

    Call: California Department of Insurance Protecting California's Consumers

    Great listing of forms and charts:  

    Know a Doctor, Dentist, Therapist or are you looking for someone? 
    Find health care, psychiatric, counseling, and other services provider that other families have shared via our online survey. 

     If you haven't yet shared a provider that you feel works well with adults with developmental disabilities, Please Share Now

    To access the list, you must have a password.  Please contact PHP and join our mailing list to gain access to this list.

    View the list now if you have the password. (pacdd)

    Once in, click Browse Responses in the upper right hand corner to see the
    submissions for each response. Otherwise, you see only a summary of all the responses.

    Sexuality, Risk Reduction & Other Social Needs

    Interviews with Dave

    Social Boundaries
    class using the CIRCLES®: Intimacy and Relationships curriculum: Teaches social distance and levels
    of intimacy; lays the foundation for people with disabilities to manage personal responsibility and social integration.

    Life and Future Planning

    What is person centered all about? Visit:

    Keeping it Honest: Progress for Providers - checking your progress in using person centered approaches (managers) is a self-assessment tool is for managers to use individually and with their team.

    Since we aren't going to live forever, none of us, this link provides life/end of life planning for our adult children in an easy to use and free on their website, booklet:
    The Coalition for Compassionate Care has developed many tools for life planning. Visit their site at  

    Great tools to use with transitioning adults! 
    Get the life you want:

    PowerPoint and Other Useful Links from previous events.

    Independent Living
     The ILRU (Independent Living Research Utilization) program is a national center for information, training, research, and technical assistance in independent living. Its goal is to expand the body of knowledge in independent living and
    to improve utilization of results of research programs and demonstration projects in this field. It is a program of TIRR (The Institute for Rehabilitation and Research), a nationally recognized medical rehabilitation facility for persons with disabilities. 

    Index of On-Demand Trainings: 

     Looking for Affordable Housing? Try this link for a state listing of agencies that may be able to assist.  

    There is an outside and ongoing support group for parents who are -- or will be -- parenting their children beyond 18, primarily those with autistic spectrum disorder, bipolar, serious learning disorders, and other issues that continue to challenge the child through adulthood. Find details at:

    Videos of Housing Models and "Who Cares For Our ASD Children When We Are Gone" Conference produced by Autism Society, San Francisco Chapter. 

    Community & Family Services Department
    Email Address: 
    transition_Checklist_Rev92014_ptc.doc180 KB