Parents for Change Advocacy Group participants are empowered and believe that systems need to change to better support loved ones who are disabled. Join other PARENTS ADVOCATING FOR CHANGE at the system and policy levels!
About Parents for Change
Parents for Change Advocacy Group is FREE online training empowers parents of young and adult children with special needs to create change in their schools and service systems through community leadership and advocacy. Through six monthly meetings, parents gain advocacy skills and strategies, learn about the legislative process, and discover how to work with decision-makers to influence systems and policy. Parents are provided the tools to impact the issues that matter to them and receive the opportunity to collaborate with other parents as part of this dynamic and supportive action community. Join PHP in building a movement of parent change-makers!
- Includes 6 monthly 1 ½-hr online training sessions.
- Participants must commit to attending all sessions. (Dates/times will be set after receiving participant schedules in the application.)
- Light homework will be given between sessions, up to an hour of time monthly.
- Participants receive unique resources and opportunities as part of local and national advocacy networks.
- A $100 stipend is available upon completion of all 6 sessions.
- Participants must be residents of Santa Clara County or San Mateo County.
- English and Spanish training cohorts are available.
- Laptops may be available for loan during the training
Parents for Change Advocacy Group training is based on Family Voices of California’s Project Leadership curriculum, including:
- History & purpose of advocacy
- Systems, laws & entitlements
- Working with decision-makers for change
- Developing & presenting your story
- Participating on decision-making bodies
- Promoting messages through media
- Creating your action plan
Benefits of Parents for Change
Participants in the Parents for Change Advocacy Group gain the knowledge, skills, and tools necessary to engage in effective policy advocacy and improve systems and services for their families. They also become part of a greater parent community dedicated to systems change, where they can find support, build relationships, and collaborate on shared goals. Parents for Change utilizes Family Voices of California’s Project Leadership curriculum, a highly interactive and engaging program used to train over 400 parents across California! A $100 stipend is available upon completion of the six training sessions.
Who Should Apply
Parents for Change Advocacy Group is geared toward those who are:
- A parent or guardian of a child with special needs or disabilities.
- Interested in systems-level advocacy and have a desire to improve systems and services for children with special needs.
- New to advocacy or wanting to expand their basic knowledge and skills.
- Willing to engage in discussions, activities, and assignments.
- Santa Clara or San Mateo residents.
- English or Spanish speakers.
How to Apply
SUBMIT AN APPLICATION
DEADLINE to apply for January-June 2023 program is November 27, 2022.
As space is limited, placement in the program is not guaranteed. We will contact you with more information after your form is received. For questions, contact Beverly Wong.