Understanding and establishing special education for your child can be confusing. Parents Helping Parents can help you become an active participant in your child’s education.
PHP hosts webinars about special education and related topics, provides 1:1 guidance, and can help you get the special education services and support you need.
New to Special Education? PHP can help!
Explore PHP special education services and support videos, e-packets, and more! We suggest you start with this video series:
- What is Special Education?
- How do I request an Assessment for My Child?
- What are the Eligibility Categories?
- Who’s on the IEP team?
- Preparing for an IEP Team Meeting
- What should I know about signing the IEP?
Start to understand the variety of special education services and support, including the assessment process for ages 0 through age 22, the components of an Individualized Education Program (IEP), planning for transition to adulthood, and so much more.
Our Education Specialists will help you:
- Understand your rights and responsibilities (CA Dept. of Education Parent Rights).
- Set priorities, problem-solve, and brainstorm options.
- Prepare for the Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP), the Individualized Education Program (IEP), and other important meetings.
- Locate resources and referrals related to special education.
- Develop active communication skills and ways to cope with stressful situations.
Parents Helping Parents’ Education Specialists serve families living in Santa Clara, San Mateo, Santa Cruz, San Benito, and Monterey counties. If you live elsewhere in California or in another state, this link to parentcenterhub.org will help you locate the Parent Training and Information Center serving you.