Parents Helping Parents understands the importance of keeping children with disabilities safe.
We want our children to know how to interact appropriately with different people in their community, from family members to teachers to community helpers. The Social Boundaries Program teaches individuals with special needs how to be safe, what is okay and not okay when interacting with others. It also teaches different levels of intimacy and social distance.
The Social Boundaries Program uses the Circles™ Curriculum published by the James Stanfield Company.
How does the Social Boundaries Program work?
- Each 6-week session includes videos, discussions, activities, and role-playing designed to teach social and sexual distance to individuals with special needs. Sessions are 2.5 hours long.
- It explores the different levels of intimacy between people, and the many ways people trust and share information in different areas of life (at home, at school, at work, in public).
- Students learn a core system of relationship boundaries and behaviors. For example, students learn about when it’s okay to hug people. They also learn about sharing their personal information, what is okay and not okay to share with strangers, for example.
Who should attend?
- Adolescents and young adults with intellectual disabilities and autism spectrum disorders who have social skills of at least kindergarten (5 years or equivalent) or above are encouraged to attend.
- Classes are held for different age groups: 8-13 year olds, and 14-18 years old.
Social Boundaries classes are limited to 6-8 families. One parent/support person/caregiver is required to participate in the class with their student. This participation is critical for the program to be successfully integrated into everyday life. Parents Helping Parents is committed to meeting your needs as best as possible. Contact us if you have any questions or concerns, or if you need specific accommodations to participate.
Learn more about the social boundaries series by watching this short video.
Registration is REQUIRED to participate in the Social Boundaries Program. Admittance to classes is on a space-available basis.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org