Parents Helping Parents is your special education resource!
Understanding and establishing special education for your child can be confusing. Parents Helping Parents is a Parent Training and Information Center and can help you become an active participant in your child’s education.
When you contact Parents Helping Parents with education-related questions, you will be connected to an Education Specialist. We offer trainings and workshops about special education and related topics, phone support and meet one-to-one with parents, online or in person.
We are here to help you understand the many facets of special education including requesting assessment ages 0 through age 22, the components of an Individualized Education Program (IEP), planning for transition to adulthood and more.
Our Education Specialists will help you:
- Understand your rights and responsibilities
- Set priorities, problem-solve and brainstorm options available to you
- Prepare for the Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP), the Individualized Education Program (IEP) or other meetings.
- Locate resources and referrals related to special education.
- Develop active communication skills and ways to cope with stressful situations.
Parents Helping Parents’ education staff serve families living in Santa Clara, San Mateo, Santa Cruz, San Benito, and Monterey counties. If you live elsewhere in California or in another state, this link to parentcenterhub.org will help you locate the Parent Training and Information Center serving you.