Do you have a high-potential young adult in your life who needs extra help to find their path after high school?
If so, check out this group! Meet with other parents of young adults with disabilities and share common experiences. Many have adult children living at home, slowly launching, and for whom we have high hopes and dreams. Together, let’s become better advocates and mentors for young adults with disabilities. Learn how to build your “parental toolbox” with targeted knowledge of support. Our most common discussion topics are motivation, employment, living options, and social relationships.
The group focuses on families of young adults that are:
- Ages 18-30 years old
- Have special needs that include learning disabilities, ADHD, mental health issues, high-functioning autism, FASD, or other special needs that don’t include severe intellectual delays.
- NOT clients of a CA regional center, which are nonprofit private corporations that contract with the Department of Developmental Services to provide or coordinate services and supports for individuals with developmental disabilities.
Come and meet other parents to:
- Share your path and knowledge
- Discuss common needs/goals and share your experience and learnings
- Build a strong parent support network
- Assist in building a path to independence for your young adult with disabilities.
The Path to Positive Adulting Support Group meets:
- When: the 2nd Thursday of each month from 7:15-8:45 PM
- Where: Zoom Online Meetings
- Register: Click on the Support Group Calendar in the Helpful Information section. Registration is required for each meeting.
Please plan to have your camera on during our meetings to build trust and collaboration. Families share sensitive information during our groups and it’s more supportive to be able to see each other.
The transition to adulthood for people with disabilities can overwhelming and complex! For both the individual and their families and allies!
Connections California: Transition to Adulthood is here to help!
If your child is as young as 12, you’ll find important information in Connections California. We want to help YOU create the smoothest transition to adulthood possible alongside your loved one!
Understand post-high school options! Learn how to become a self-advocate! Explore different housing options! Decide when to get started with the process! Become fluent in ALL of the adulting acronyms! Connect with other families also going through the transition to adulthood with their loved ones!
Connections California: Transition to Adulthood is for any person with any disability. Everything is organized into five main categories. The goal is to help you find the information you need easily for this complex and exciting life transition! Be sure to check out PHP ELearning which has lots of videos about adult topics, sidebar on this page has the link.
Other support groups that might be of interest:
- Parents of Adult Children with Developmental Disabilities One of PHP’s longest-running groups, the facilitators and attendees brainstorm, share knowledge, and compare resources for adult children who are regional center clients.